“Presenting the award to the Governor on Friday, the commissioner for Enviroment, Alhaji Hassan Aminami said the award which was given to Borno State on the 15th August, 2013 was in recognition of the state’s effort in fighting desertification and deforestation in the state.” For detail please click on: Shettima receives most enviromental-friendly Governor award – DailyPost Nigeria – DailyPost Nigeria.
The Administration of Governor Kashim Shettima initiated ’20 million assorted seedlings project’ to combat desertification and fight rural poverty in Borno. From the information i gathered from the State Ministry of Environment on how to distribute the seedlings, a high ranking official of the Ministry gave the following breakdown;
- 1 million Gum Arabic seedlings to each of the 10 Northern desert prone Local Government areas totally 10 million Gum Arabic Seedlings
- The remaining 10 million improved assorted seedlings comprising of other economic trees such as Mango, Cashew, Guava, Citrous, Orange are for distribution to the remaining 17 Local Government area of the State.
This project, if fully implemented would no doubt help combat desertification and fight hunger, malnutrition and poverty in Borno State and the country at large.
- Great Green Wall to stop Sahel desertification (drbausman.wordpress.com)
- earthrise – The Great Green Wall (drbausman.wordpress.com)
- Desertification – ‘Borno to Transplant 500,000 Seedlings’ Agro Nigeria |